Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Who do you Credit??

Looking back over my life, I can honestly say I had a very happy childhood and upbringing. I've always credited my mom for me being who I am today (and Christ of course). She was the one who taught me how to be responsible and how to always be a lady. She was there for everyone and everyone could count on her to be that ear or shoulder when in need.


But, during some recent inventory, I've realized that more than "momma" is responsible for who I am today. It took a village to raise this child!! ;) And now I'm a flower that has blossomed oh so nicely. Not tooting my own horn but toot-toot..lol



One of my aunts (Junie) was the firm hand. She was the one that told us straight up how it is. Not sparing any feelings and occasionally hurting a few to get her point across, but it was always followed up with words of wisdom and a bible verse!



Auntie Sheila and Uncle Donald provided me with my social experience. When I found myself without my sisters, I always knew that my cousins were there for me to play with. My very first friends came from that block, and most of us still talk today!! It was thru this fam that I met my husband! Uncle Donald was affectionately named "uncle daddy" by me at 3yrs. He taught me about men/boys and always gave me that male perspective.



So looking back, I credit a lot of people for my current values, good or bad. ;) So even while your past holds the key to who you are, it doesn't say who you will become. Your past doesn't predict your future unless you are driving forward while staying focused in your rear view mirror.

10 comments:

Moanerplicity said...

This was a wonderful entry, because it reveals how you have been a student surrounded by some awesome teachers who helped you to reach a state of adulthood that is admirable!

I give credit to both my mom and dad for loving each other enough to remain together for 36 YEARS! I've taken lessons from them both, and probably learned more from their mistakes, failures, their belief systems and their limitations, because each was beneficial in helping to shape the man I've become. I also must give mad props to my paternal grandmother, Margie, whose wisdom proved a spiritual barometer in my personal growth, and whose love was truly unconditional. There were teachers along the way who instilled certain educational mainstays, morals and social responsibilities until it finally dawned upon me that everyone we meet in our journey can become a teacher, a mentor, or a moral compass in this life.

So, the reality is: it truly DOES 'take a village to raise a child.'


One Love.

Lin

Tia's Real Talk said...

Moanerplicity, you are off the chain!!! lol..Are you on facebook??

25champ said...

I had a pretty good supporting cast myself and a pretty well rounded life 2 this point. I thought I was the only "Uncle Daddy" lol. Good Read!

Tia's Real Talk said...

@ Champ!! OMG..you are an "uncle daddy"..I thought I made that up! lol. Uncle daddy's are great!! Did you get my email? Check your spam!

25champ said...

@Tia's Real Talk....Yeah I raised my niece since birth (6) n she calls me that, and my oldest daughter calls me Daddy Champ lol. I got ur email I will respond I'm def interested just gotta make sure my bases are covered.

Tia's Real Talk said...

@ Champ! Wow..thats amazing. I admire that!! Wish I had more positive male influences growing up..but I still think I've turned out pretty good! ;)
Call me..if interested in attending..I have to RSVP for you. 404-932-6687

Tia's Real Talk said...

@ Champ..bring whomever you want. Kids too..that should be fine..its a BBQ. I'll check if you need me too. Let me know.

25champ said...

Ok...I sure will.

Moanerplicity said...

Hey Tia. Yup, I'm on FB, tho I rarely roll thru any more. My addy is:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Lin-Ross/656218128


Enjoy your weekend!

One Love.


Lin

Tia's Real Talk said...

Thanks @ Lin...I found you and requested your friendship. Accept me!